The goal of this RFC is to submit one potential vision on how Olympus may grow to the next phase of its existence: Scale and Adoption.
As the system now feels operationally complete (Cooler Loans being a final vertical, allowing scaling access to extrinsic value, but with with OCG vs. Optimistic Multisig remaining), I wanted to put forth some structured ideas around the future to promote discussion and action. I plan on entering capital into the governance system that ultimately gets deployed, such that I can propose discrete, actionable scopes of work to see these ideas realized. That said, I wanted to organize and share my thoughts for constructive criticism and peer review.
This RFC is intended to be broad and serve as both a temperature check to community as a whole, as well as a starting point to identify if there is requisite, aligned power to reach quorum in the OCG system to implement the proposed vision effectively. OCG, as written, has specific requirements to move from a dormant state into an active one. One requirement is enough capital in the system to even propose and I commit to taking that on. The other is that enough voting power enters the system, votes and is willing to take on illiquidity following to pass things. As such, I think gaining effective commitment and alignment to the vision will help minimize the probability of surprises. Planning is low cost and I want to be respectful to those voters since their capital and their time is important.
At a high level, the document (Outlined in a Medium Article below) speaks to the following:
- Acceptance that, in the future, a centralized DAO will not exist as an axis of power but, if successful, ongoing building over the top of the protocol will happen for the foreseeable future.
- Empowering community to act as owners and stakeholders in the protocol and thus enabling them to use its function, at a grass roots level and in permissionless way, to build valuable structures over the top of it.
- Create better, low friction means for social coordination and collaboration.
- Defining specific key verticals where effort should be directed and lay out a plan for how community can participate in those, rather than being a product of them.
- Re-invigorate the culture so that new people entering the system can find a community worth actively engaging with vs. remembering the community and culture that used to be.
- Having fun.
The full RFC is memorialized and can be found here: Olympus - A Vision Forward
I intend to leave this RFC open through the end of the year, largely because the actionable components will be realized through (And thus are blocked by) OCG. That said, I was eager to socialize the broad ideas, establish who was supportive and who wanted to go in different direction. I think this helps define what the playing field looks like for FY24. As OCG gets realized and deployed, more targeted efforts will be submitted with discrete Scopes of Work and asks to the community.
In the meantime, I will create a thread on the Community Server surrounding this topic so that there can be real-time discussions in Discord as well as asynchronous discussions here on the forum. Will also coordinate some Twitter Spaces so that the reach can be expanded more broadly and outside of the echo chamber that Discord can create.
I'm looking forward to discussions around these ideas. Please share your own, constructively criticize gaps and together, we can mold the future.